Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Road Ahead

There are two things I need to tell people; to tell my friends and more importantly to tell my family.

I need to tell them that I no longer have any firm belief in the existence of God and I need to tell them that I am gay.

On the first issue, my parents already have an inkling that my spirituality is on the wane. My mother has talked to me about it. She's quite concerned. I'd be worried if she wasn't.

The second issue is separate, and must be treated as such. I shall not leave the Witnesses because I am gay. That's no reason. I shall leave because I no longer believe what they teach. Then, having left, I shall have no further reason to fight against my homosexuality. I have that sequence very clear in my head, and I want it to be clear for everyone else too. To me, it's a matter of moral integrity.

Well, wish me luck. You can pray for me too, if you feel like it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Hey you should take a peek at Richard Dawkin's book "The God Delusion." I think its a really well thought-out look at religion and atheism from a smart guy.

I found your blog through the youtube scene comment. Good stuff, I hope all goes well.

Wednesday, 14 February, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't offer any advice on the first of your problems, not being religious myself. As to the second, however, I really hope tha your family will be able to come to terms with it. Having gone through a similar experience myself, and seen others go through it, i know it can be...difficult, at best, to tell your family something like that. Stay strong in your belief of yourself.

Friday, 16 February, 2007  
Blogger The boy with the green tambourine said...

Thanks, people. I've heard of the God Delusion. I may try to track it down in the local bookshop.

Some of the stuff in the Pratchett, Stewart, and Cohen Science of Discworld series is also pretty powerful and thought-provoking.

Monday, 19 February, 2007  
Blogger The boy with the green tambourine said...

And I've since found and bought Letter to a Christian Nation.

Monday, 26 March, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home