Friday, February 01, 2008

I love my parents, but I don't trust them.

Awkward.

I know they love me, but I still can't trust them.

I need to find myself an independent job, so I'm no longer working for my Dad. I need to move out of home. And then I'll tell them.

And if I find that it's okay, that I could have told them earlier, I'll be sorry I didn't, sorry I wasted so much time and mental pain.

But, where I am now, I can't take that risk.

I haven't even really told them I'm an atheist yet, though they do know I'm asking lots of questions and no longer trust the answers provided by the Watchtower Society.

It's a mess.

Why do I want to tell them? Because I can never have a proper relationship with them until I do. I may not have a proper relationship afterward, either, but with a bit of work it should grow back. I hope.

Why do I want to tell them? Because until I tell them I can't explain why I so despise the Watchtower Society. They taught me to hate myself. I can't forgive that.

Why do I want to tell them? Because I want to tell everyone else, and I owe it to my parents to tell them first.

I do want to tell everyone. Not directly, perhaps, but I want to stop hiding who I am. Go to at least one Pride parade (depending what I see there, I may or may not go to more).

I have never seen an openly gay couple here. I've seen gay couples kissing once in Madrid (Atocha Railway Station, if you want to know) and once in Dublin (in St Stephen's Green on a warm day). It matters to me to see that, and to see everyone else ignoring it. It's no big deal. It should be no big deal. And yet it often is. Gay kids. Gay teens. Confused and lonely. They need to see that there's a place for them in the big wide world. They need to see they can be happy. I almost feel it's a duty for me to be publicly gay, and publicly happy.

One day. One day.


I wrote this for a messageboard, and then decided to put it also on the blog.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

yeah you need a job away from your parents and a life of your own. thanks for stopping by my blog. yours is really cool!

Thursday, 03 April, 2008  
Blogger TRiG said...

Any further comments should be left on my new blog.

Sunday, 16 October, 2011  

<< Home